I CAN Get Fit - Kelowna
The purpose of I CAN Get Fit is to teach youth and young adults with autism how to use a fitness facility in a safe and supportive environment. The program focuses on basic skills such as learning to use cardio and weight machines, and provides an introduction to gym etiquette. In addition, participants will be encouraged to build independence and fitness skills that can be maintained outside the program.
Each session of the fitness program consists of 90-minute fitness lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks. Fitness lessons will focus on aerobic endurance, strength, and flexibility and will include individual, partner, and group exercises.
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant and welcome parent collaboration. Our staff receive training on a variety of support strategies to assist individuals with autism. Please do not hesitate to speak with the program coordinator about strategies to use with the participant (e.g. visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories,
- Ages 16-30 (Must be of correct age when starting the program)
- Have an autism diagnosis, and an active membership through the CAN Participant Membership Program
- Have no history of severely challenging behaviour that has resulted injury to themselves, another person, or in property destruction within the past year
- Be willing to submit a Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire Plus (PAR-Q Plus) form prior to the start of the program (this will be e-mailed to you upon confirmation of registration)
- Be willing to commit to attend all sessions for the duration of the program
Registration for the spring 2017 multi-week program was open to from Monday, February 20th at noon, to Friday, February 24th.