I CAN Play Hockey
I CAN Play Hockey teaches basic hockey skills to children and youth with autism in a safe and supportive environment. The program will introduce participants to stick handling, passing and shooting. There will also be time for fun and non-competitive scrimmaging.
The hockey programs runs for 55 minutes, once per week, from October to March (6 month commitment). In each lesson, there are up to 21 participants who are supported by coaches, support workers, and volunteers. Lessons include individual and small group skill practice, group games, and scrimmages. Video social storybook available at bottom of page.
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration. Our staff receive training on a variety of support strategies for children and youth with autism. Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and support staff about strategies to use with your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.) and contact the Program Coordinator, Ryan Yao (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns.
- Ages 8-19 (Must be of correct age when starting the program)
- Have an autism diagnosis, and an active membership through the CAN Participant Membership Program
- This is an autism only program; parents and siblings must remain on the side
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis for the duration of the program (6 months) - See Attendance Policy
- Register through CAN Program Registration
- Pay a subsidized program registration fee of $500
- Commit to participate in team fundraising efforts
- Previous participation in Level 1 or Level 2 of theI CAN Skate program, or approval from the Program Coordinator, Ryan Yao at email@example.com(strong skating skills are considered an asset for acceptance into this program)
- Those Confirmed into the program must provide their own equipment - a full equipment list, along with information on stores that may be providing a reduced price for CAN participants, will be emailed out to all those Confirmed into the hockey program
- Parents must sign the CAN Parent Agreement Form for their child to participate in the program
The 2016-2017 CAN hockey program is currently underway. The next registration will be for the 2017-2018 season, and sign-up will take place in August 2017. Participants are encouraged to check back in late July/early August for updated program information.
Canucks Autism Network has prepared the following video storybook for those families and individuals who may find it helpful to see what a hockey practice looks like. This resource outlines the skill sets that your child will learn in a step-by-step video.