I CAN Skate: Level 1 & 2
purposeThe purpose of the I CAN Skate program is to teach skating skills to children and youth with autism in a safe and supportive environment. The Level 1 program focuses on basic skills such as moving forward, gliding and stopping. The Level 2 program introduces more advanced skills such as crossovers, backwards skating, and pivoting.
Each session of the skate program consists of 30 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks. Sessions for this program takes place three times during the year; fall (mid-October to late November), winter (late January to early March), and spring (mid-April to late May).Each lesson, there are up to 10 participants with support provided by a program coach, trained support workers, and dedicated volunteers. Lessons include individual or small group skill practice, group games, and choicetime.
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration. Our staff receive training on a variety of support strategies for children and youth with autism. Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and support staff about strategies to use with your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.) and contact the Program Coordinator, Ali Gorsak (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
Social StorybookCanucks Autism Network has prepared the following social storybook for those families who may find it helpful. To view the skate social storybook, please click here.
- Skate rentals will be provided at all skate programs on behalf of CAN
- Proper skate helmets MUST be worn at all programs; not all locations provide rentals (ski helmets are acceptable but NOT bike helmets)
PROGRAM CRITERIA: Level 1
- Ages 4-15 (preschool skate: 4-6yrs; regular level skate 7-15yrs) (Must be of correct age when starting the program)
- Have an autism diagnosis, and an active membership through the CAN Participant Membership Program
- This is an autism only program; parents and siblings must remain on the side
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
- Register through CAN Program Registration
PROGRAM CRITERIA: Level 2
- All of the above, as well as a) previous participation in Level 1 or b) strong skating skills, and c) approval from the Program Coordinator.
- Interested participants must first register to a wait list. The Program Coordinator will then contact you to confirm registration.
The I CAN Skate program will return for the Fall 2017 session.
Online registration for the spring session of CAN’s multi-week programs is scheduled to take place from Monday, February 20th at noon, to Friday, February 24th at noon. Participants are reminded that registration for these programs is open to PENDING ENROLLMENT ONLY, meaning that there are no spots allocated on a first come, first serve basis.
To view upcoming programs, please visit canucksautism.ca/leisureguide.
Proudly supported by Paul Sturt and: