The CommunityWorks Canada® program provides an opportunity for teens with autism ages 15-21, to volunteer alongside typical peers in a variety of community settings (e.g., Science World, Union Gospel Mission, community gardens) while developing work skills and building communication and social skills. This program is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities Program, and is offered by the Canucks Autism Network as part of a new federally funded national project called Worktopia. CommunityWorks Canada® currently runs three times throughout the year; fall (September-December), winter (January-March), and spring (April-June). See below for information on upcoming registrations.
- Ages: 15-21 (must be of correct age when starting the program)
- Have an autism diagnosis, and an active membership through the CAN Participant Membership program
- No behavioural concerns, such as eloping or aggressive or self-injurious behaviours
- This is an autism only program
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
Registration for the spring 2017 multi-week program was open to from Monday, February 20th at noon, to Friday, February 24th.