Canucks Autism Network Society respects and upholds an individual’s right to privacy and to protection of his or her personal information. This includes all of our donors, website visitors, participants, staff, contractors and volunteers. The Society complies with provincial privacy legislation and adheres to ethical guidelines established by professional fundraising associations.
We do not lend, exchange, rent or sell our donor lists to other organizations. The personal information provided when making any online or in-person donation or conducting other transactions with us will be protected and will not be disclosed to any third parties.
The Society may gather data concerning traffic on the website for statistical analysis. This data is not linked to personal information and is used strictly to improve content of the website.
When making a donation online, a secure connection is established and donor information is encrypted to prevent interception during the transaction. The secure connection is maintained until the transaction is completed or terminated.
Employees of the Society who have access to donors’ personal information in connection with processing donations are required to keep the information confidential. They are not permitted to use this information for any other purpose than to carry out the services they are performing for the Society.
If donors provide the Society with their postal code and/or email address, they may receive periodic mailings regarding the programs and services offered by the Society. If donors prefer not to receive these mailings, they may let us know by sending an email to [email protected].
If donors have supplied a telephone number online, they may receive telephone contact from the Society responding to any requests that were made.
The Society website may contain links to websites of other organizations that maintain their own privacy and security policies. This policy articulates the privacy practices of the Society only. Other websites which may be linked to the Society’s website are governed by their own privacy policies.
CAN collects and uses personal information about participants for the following purposes:
- Determination of eligibility for services
- Documentation of services provided
- Contact with individuals to address questions or concerns
- Government reporting on funded services
- Financial audit reporting as required by the Society Act of British Columbia and government funding organizations
Staff, Contractors, and Volunteers
CAN collects and uses personal information about staff, contractors and volunteers for the following purposes:
- Payroll and required deductions
- Determination of eligibility for benefits and entitlements and in some cases, the use of such benefits
- Assessment of appropriate qualifications
- Emergency Contact information
- Assessment of training and development needs
- Documentation of performance assessments
- Recognition purposes and activities.
- The Society recognizes its obligation to protect the confidential information of its staff, contractors and volunteers. We have arrangements in place to secure against the unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, alteration, disposal or destruction of personal information. Information is kept in locked cabinets or locked offices. Electronic data is password protected.
Disclosure of Information to Third Parties
The only circumstance under which personal information may be disclosed to third parties is for the fulfillment of any purposes identified above or as required by law.
Requests for Access to and Correction of Personal Information
PIPA allows any individual the right to access and/or request the correction of errors or omissions in his or her personal information that is in the custody or under the control of the. The Chief Executive Officer, who acts as the Privacy Officer for the organization, will assist the individual with the access request. This includes:
- Identification of personal information under the Society’s custody or control
- Information about how their personal information under the Society’s control may be or has been used by the Society
- The names of any individuals and organizations to which their personal information under the Society’s control has been disclosed.
- We will respond to requests within the time allowed by PIPA and will make every effort to respond as accurately and completely as possible.
In certain exceptional circumstances, the Society may not be able to provide access to certain personal information it holds about an individual. If access cannot be provided, the Society will notify the individual making the request, in writing, of the reasons for the refusal.
Concerns or Questions Regarding the Canucks Autism Network Society’s Compliance
Questions or concerns regarding the Society’s compliance with this policy may be directed to: [email protected].