Active teaches fundamental movement skills like jumping, balancing, and throwing and provides participants with an opportunity to be active and work on their physical literacy through games. Learning fundamental movement skills helps children build the confidence necessary for a lifetime of sport and physical activity.
Active lessons include individual or small group skill practice, and group games.
- Each session consists of 45 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks.
- Sessions take place three times a year: In the fall (mid-October to late November), winter (late January to early March), and spring (mid-April to late May).
- Each lesson consists of up to 10 participants with autism, who may be split into smaller groups.
- Participants are provided with a high ratio of support (1:1 or even 2:1 available if needed)
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
You can also access our Physical Literacy Activity Storybook to help prepare your child for the program. Activity Storybooks describe activities or situations as well as the expected behaviours in a given context using words and often pictures. Participants can read Activity Storybooks prior to engaging in an activity to help prepare them and build predictability.
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Ages 3-6 (Must be of correct age when starting the program)
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Siblings are welcome to register alongside their sibling with autism (if age requirement is met)
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome (ratio of support can be adjusted if necessary; 1:1 or even 2:1 support)
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
Limited Spots Available in Kamloops, West Kelowna, and Duncan
Limited space remains in the following weekly programs for the winter 2019 season:
– Active (3-6yrs) Kamloops – Mondays, January 21-March 4, 5:30pm-6:15pm
– Active (3-6rys) West Kelowna – Mondays, January 21-March 4, 5:15pm-6:00pm
– Active (3-6yrs) Duncan – Sundays, January 27-March 10, 1:45pm-2:30pm
If you are interested in one of these sessions, you may email [email protected] to submit a late registration request. In your email, make sure to include:
1. The name and age of the participant, and
2. The program name, location, and time.
All the requests will be handled in the order received.