Bike teaches basic bike skills such as learning to ride without training wheels, stopping, turning and road safety rules. As participants build confidence, the program provides opportunities for trail riding.
Bike lessons include individual and small group skills practice.
- Each session consists of 2-hour lessons, once per day, for four consecutive days (Tuesday-Friday).
- Sessions take place in the summer.
- Each lesson consists of up to 10 participants who may be split into smaller groups.
- Participants are provided with a high ratio of support (1:1 or higher, if needed)
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
You can also access our Bike Activity Storybook to help prepare your child for the program. Activity Storybooks describe activities or situations as well as the expected behaviours in a given context using words and often pictures. Participants can read Activity Storybooks prior to engaging in an activity to help prepare them and build predictability.
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome (ratio of support can be adjusted if necessary; 1:1 or even 2:1 support)
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
- Participants must provide their own bike and helmet (helmet is required; participants without a helmet will not be permitted to take part in the program)
This program is specifically designed and adapted for individuals on the autism spectrum. We kindly ask that parents and siblings remain on the side.
Next Session: Summer 2020
Stay tuned for updates in Spring 2020 for information regarding summer program details.
Subscribe to programs & membership newsletter to stay-up-to date on program and registration dates.