Family Experiences are an opportunity for the whole family to enjoy a fun activity in a non-judgmental environment while connecting with other families.
Year-round family events vary by season and region, with all ages welcome. Past Family Experiences have included trips to the farm, holiday light displays, BCHL hockey games, outdoor skates & more!
Types of Family Experiences
Exclusive Family Experience | This is the style of Family Experience that many of our longtime members have come to know and love.
What is looks like:
- Obvious CAN branding on site (tents, signage)
- CAN staff and volunteers on site supporting the event
- Venues are often open exclusively to CAN families
- Goal is for CAN families to connect in a welcoming and non-judgmental environment
- Accommodations are made to ensure the event is autism friendly
Community Family Experience | This type of Family Experience invites CAN members to enjoy a fun activity alongside the general public.
What it looks like:
- Fewer CAN staff and volunteers supporting the event
- Venue is open to the public during the CAN timeslots
- Goal is for CAN families to enjoy a safe and fun activity in their community
- Autism accommodations are made, wherever possible (i.e. designated quiet room)
- Open to immediate family members only due to limited space
- All family members wishing to participate must have an active CAN Membership (unless otherwise stated that the event is also open to non-members)
- A family member with an autism diagnosis must participate in the program
- Please review the monthly membership newsletter for full details