Gymnastics lessons include circuit style activities, individual or small group skill practice, and group games.
- Each session consists of 45-60 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks.
- Sessions take place three times a year: In the fall (mid-October to late November), winter (late January to early March), and spring (mid-April to late May).
- Each lesson consists of 5-10 participants who may be split into smaller groups.
- Participants are provided with a high ratio of support (1:1 or even 2:1 available if needed)
This program is provided in partnership with Cameron Recreation Centre, Delta Gymnastics Society, and Kerrigan Children’s Active Learning Centre. Each facility provides qualified gymnastics coaches to oversee the lessons and collaborate with CAN staff and volunteers on any necessary adaptions to the curriculum.
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
You can also access our Gymnastics Activity Storybook to help prepare your child for the program. Activity Storybooks describe activities or situations as well as the expected behaviours in a given context using words and often pictures. Participants can read Activity Storybooks prior to engaging in an activity to help prepare them and build predictability.
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Ages 7-12 (Must be of correct age when starting the program)
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome (ratio of support can be adjusted if necessary; 1:1 or 2:1 support)
- Commit to pay highly subsidized program fee of $10/hr (See Program Fee Payment Options)
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
This program is specifically designed and adapted for individuals on the autism spectrum. We kindly ask that parents and siblings remain on the side.
Registration is now open and will close on Fri Aug 23 at noon
View the Fall 2019 Leisure Guide for program details.
How to Register
- Login to your CAN membership account.
- Submit registration requests online.
- Check on the status of your requests at the end of August.
Not yet a Canucks Autism Network member?
Create an online account to access Canucks Autism Network programs for $25/year.