Hockey introduces participants to basic hockey skills such as stick handling, passing and shooting. Lessons also include fun, non-competitive scrimmaging.
Experience the joy of hockey
The hockey programs runs for 55 minutes, once per week, from October to March (6 month commitment).
- In each lesson, there are up to 21 participants who are supported by coaches, support workers, and volunteers.
- Lessons include individual and small group skill practice, group games, and scrimmages.
- This program is specifically designed and adapted for individuals on the autism spectrum. We kindly ask that parents and siblings remain on the side.
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Child and Youth: 8-18yrs (Locations: Coquitlam, Surrey & Vancouver)
Adult: 19yrs+ (Location: Vancouver)*
Must be of correct age when starting the program
- Have an autism diagnosis, and an active CAN Membership
- Commit to attend session on a weekly basis for the duration of the program (6 months) – See Attendance Policy
- Pay a subsidized program registration fee of $500
Hockey fees are eligible to be paid through a participant’s Autism Funding. A fee assistance program is also available for those in need. See Payment Options.
- Commit to participate in team fundraising efforts
- Must provide own equipment – a full equipment list, along with information on stores that may offer a reduced price for CAN participants, will be emailed out to all confirmed hockey participants.
- Parents/guardians must sign the Hockey Parent Agreement Form in order for their child to participate in the program.
*Young Adults (19yrs+) do not need skating expertise to participate in the program. If you’d like to join or drop-in, please contact: [email protected]
Hockey participants must be able to independently demonstrate the following skating skills:
- Fall down and get up
- Balance on one foot on the spot (right foot-left foot)
- One foot push glide sequence around circle (right foot-left foot)
- Snow plow full stop
- Step and plant (intro to crossover)
- Forward skating perimeter of ice space with stride
These skills are assessed on CAN Skate program report cards.
Registration is open and will close on Fri Aug 23 at noon
View the Fall 2019 Leisure Guide for program details.
How to Register
- Login to your CAN membership account.
- Submit registration requests online.
- Check on the status of your requests at the end of August.
Not yet a Canucks Autism Network member?
Create an online account to access Canucks Autism Network programs for $25/year.