The purpose of the Multisport program is to provide participants with autism, and their siblings, a fun introduction into the world of sports! Participants will enjoy games and drills that work on a variety of skills used in various sports. This program is designed to provide a fun, safe and supportive environment for all those taking part.
Sports lessons include individual practice and small group games that work on skills relating to physical literacy, soccer, and basketball.
- Each session consists of 60 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks.
- Sessions take place three times a year: In the fall (mid-October to late November), winter (late January to early March), and spring (mid-April to late May).
- Each lesson consists of up to 10 participants with autism, who may be split into smaller groups.
- Participants are provided with a high ratio of support (1:1 or even 2:1 available if needed)
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
You can also access our I CAN Play Sports Activity Storybook to help prepare your child for the program. Activity Storybooks describe activities or situations as well as the expected behaviours in a given context using words and often pictures. Participants can read Activity Storybooks prior to engaging in an activity to help prepare them and build predictability.
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Ages 7-12 (Must be of correct age when starting the program)
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Siblings are welcome to register alongside their sibling with autism (if age requirement is met)
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome (ratio of support can be adjusted if necessary; 1:1 or even 2:1 support)
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
Registration is Closed
Thank you for your interest in CAN’s fall programming. The registration period for Fall was open from Monday, August 19th at noon to Friday, August 23rd at noon.
If you would like to submit a late registration request, please email [email protected] with the following information:
1. Name and age of participant, and
2. Program name, location and time.
Requests will be processed in the order received.
For full program details, please view the Fall 2019 Leisure Guide,