The Music program, in partnership with Sarah McLachlan School of Music, offers children and youth with autism an introductory opportunity to play basic percussion instruments in a group lesson format. Participants will enjoy music games and drills that work on a variety of rhythms. Lessons are taught by experienced music instructors and supported by CAN staff and volunteers.
Music lessons are directed by the Sarah McLachlan School of Music and supported by Canucks Autism Network staff.
- Each Children’s Class (7-12yrs) session consists of 45 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks.
- Each Youth Class (13-17yrs) session consists of 45 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks.
- Each lesson consists of 8-10 participants who may be split into smaller groups.
- Participants are provided with a high ratio of support (1:1 or higher, if needed).
The Sarah McLachlan School of Music provides a music instructor and assistant to lead each class. Participants will also be supported by CAN support workers and volunteers provided.
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Ages 7-12 & 13-17
- Participants must meet session age requirements as of first-day of the program
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome (ratio of support can be adjusted if necessary; 1:1 or even 2:1 support)
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
This program is specifically designed and adapted for individuals on the autism spectrum. We kindly ask that parents and siblings remain on the side.
Registration is closed and late registration requests may be accepted pending program availability.
Registration for Spring weekly programs took place from Monday, February 22nd at noon to Friday, February 26th at noon.
If you would like to submit a late registration request, please email [email protected] with the following information:
- Name and age of participant
- Program, dates & times, and location you are requesting late registration for
Late registration requests will be processed in the order that they are received.
Please check canucksautism.ca/health for the most-up-to-date information regarding CAN programming.