The skate program introduces participants to basic skating skills such as marching, stopping, moving forward and gliding. For those with more experience, skills will be adapted to challenge participants with skills such as skating backwards, sculling, turns, jumping and increasing speed.
Experience the Joy of Skating
Skate lessons include skill practice and group games that are individualized based on each participant’s abilities.
- Each session consists of 30 minute lessons, once per week, for six weeks.
- Sessions take place twice a year: In the fall (October to late November) and winter (January to early March).
- Each lesson consists of up to 10 participants who may be split into smaller groups.
- Participants are provided with a high ratio of support (1:1 or higher, if needed).
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with coaches and on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
You can also access our Skate Activity Storybook to help prepare your child for the program. Activity Storybooks describe activities or situations as well as the expected behaviours in a given context using words and often pictures. Participants can read Activity Storybooks prior to engaging in an activity to help prepare them and build predictability.
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Participants must meet session age requirements as of first-day of the program
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome (ratio of support can be adjusted if necessary; 1:1 or 2:1 support)
- Commit to pay highly subsidized program fee of $10/hr (See Program Fee Payment Options)
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
- Skate rentals are provided at all locations on behalf of CAN
- Proper skate helmets MUST be worn (not all locations provide helmet rentals)
This program is specifically designed and adapted for individuals on the autism spectrum. We kindly ask that parents and siblings remain on the side.
Registration is closed
All those who submitted registration requests during the registration period will be notified of their updated registration status by end of day on Friday, November 29.
Registration was open from Monday, November 18 at noon to Friday, November 22 at noon. If you are a Canucks Autism Network member and would like to submit a late registration request, please email [email protected] with the following information:
- name and age of participant
- requested program, dates and location