The Virtual Active program teaches children with autism and their siblings core movement skills such as running, jumping and balancing. Participants also get the opportunity to play games, participate in sing-a-longs, story time and practice skills like listening and waiting. Learning fundamental movement skills helps children build the confidence necessary for a lifetime of sport and physical activity.
Using the free Zoom app (an online meeting platform), coaches will be able to connect with participants in real-time, teaching lessons in a fun, new and digital environment.
- This program is delivered online through the free Zoom app
- Participants are lead through different activities virtually by a CAN staff member, while being supported at home by a parent/guardian/caretaker
- Each session consists of a 30-45 minute lesson, once per week, for six weeks
- Each lesson has up to 15 participants taking part virtual
- See weekly session example here: Virtual Active Checklist
As this will be a learning experience for us all, you can expect to see us adapt our content along the way to best suit the online platform and the needs of our participants.
- In-person support for these programs must be provided by a parent/guardian/caretaker who is present for the duration of each online lesson
- An additional CAN staff member will be present and act as a moderator to provide technical support and answer questions
- Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns
You can also access our Zoom Tip Sheet to help you prepare for the online program.
- Ages 3-6 (Must be of correct age on program start date)
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Siblings are welcome to register alongside their sibling with autism (if age requirement is met)
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome to take part
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis
- Parent/guardian/caretaker must be present for the duration of each online lesson
Registration is closed
Online registration for Virtual Active programs was open to CAN members on Monday, July 13 at noon, and closed on Friday, July 17 at noon.
- name and age of participant
- program that they are requesting late registration for
Those who submitted registration requests within the registration period will be updated on their registration status by end of day, Friday, July 24.