At Canucks Autism Network, we believe that it is crucial for first responders to be able to identify and understand autism in order to respond safely and effectively to situations that arise involving an individual on the spectrum.
We have partnered with several first responder groups to support projects and provide workshops, including:
- Surrey RCMP
- District of North Vancouver Fire
- North Shore Search and Rescue
- Transit Police BC
- Emergency Management BC
- Fire Prevention Officers Association of British Columbia
- Coquitlam Search and Rescue
- And more!
Our training was developed in consultation with the following team of subject matter experts:
- Ben Wilson, Captain – Fire Prevention
- Michaela Stuart, Corporal, RCMP
- Scott Hilderley, Corporal – Strategic Prevention Services, RCMP
- Cindy Maltman, Retired Lieutenant – Fire Suppression, Burnaby Fire Department
- Stewart Maltman, Captain – Fire Suppression, Burnaby Fire Department
- Rob DeGoey, Constable, Port Moody Police
- Elvis Bellia, Police Sergeant
- Martin Hurst, Detective Constable, Metro Vancouver Transit Police
Book a training workshop for your team:
First responders are seven times more likely to interact with an individual with autism than a member of the public. To request a training workshop for your group, please fill out our Training Request Form.