Canucks Autism Network (CAN) is proud to partner with Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and Air North to provide another Autism Accessibility Tour for individuals on the spectrum and their families.
DATE: Sunday, April 24th, 2022
TIME: 1:00-6:00pm (details will be confirmed in confirmation emails)
LOCATION: Vancouver International Airport (3211 Grant McConachie Way, Richmond)
Developed in collaboration with YVR, the Autism Accessibility Tour is an opportunity to practice the airport experience, decrease anxiety associated with air travel, and build confidence for future travel success. Originally launched in 2014, this annual event has impacted hundreds of autistic individuals and their families over the years. We are excited to be offering it for the first time since 2019.
The Autism Accessibility Tour will take attendees through the entire pre-flight process, including check-in, security, finding the gate, waiting, aircraft boarding, simulated take-off and de-planing, in a safe and supportive environment.
This event is open to all individuals on the spectrum and their families (both non-members and registered CAN members).
In addition to this annual event, YVR has also collaborated with CAN to offer FREE autism travel resources to any travellers departing from their airport. These include a Resource Kit and Video Series. Full details at yvr.ca/autism.
In order to be eligible for this program:
- Each participating member must have a valid government issued photo ID (i.e. passport, driver’s license, BC Services Card or BC ID).
- Proof of vaccination is required for anyone who is 12 years and 4 months of age and older.
- Masks are currently required for attendees of this federally regulated event. However, the following exemptions apply:
- For children between 2 and 6 years of age who are unable to tolerate wearing a mask.
- For a person who produces a valid medical certificate stating they are unable to wear a mask.
- Each participating member must sign a media waiver form (to be provided via email upon confirmation).
If you meet the criteria outlined above, please complete the full form below by Monday, March 28th at 4pm.
Please note that we anticipate that interest will exceed capacity for the event. Priority will be given to those who have not accessed this event in previous years. We anticipate being able to notify each applicant of their registration status on Thursday, March 31st.