Why You Should Apply
- Gain valuable hands-on experience working alongside our trained coaches and support workers
- Support participants on the autism spectrum in recreational and community-based settings
- Enjoy a flexible schedule year-round
- Meet like-minded individuals, have fun, and be active in your community
Work alongside our trained coaches and support workers in pools, gyms, and ice rinks to deliver our core sports programs across BC!
Directly support Autistic youth and adults in various community-based settings! Activities focus on leisure and recreation, social connection, healthy living, skill development, and employment and volunteering.
Get involved with our large-scale events, dedicated to providing CAN families a safe and supportive environment! Help us host activities at movie matinees, family skates, mini golf, and more.
Represent CAN at our signature events, info booths, fairs, conferences, and hockey games! Hand out brochures, giveaways, and support with various event logistics.
Support the delivery of our virtual programs across BC which are delivered on Zoom! Help moderate chats and provide technical support to ensure a successful experience for our participants.
Visit the office during the weekday to support our CAN programs and event logistics! Assist with administrative duties or prepare visual supports for programs.
Volunteer with Us!
We are looking for applicants who are:
- At least 15 years of age
- Energetic, enthusiastic and passionate
- Capable of working in a team setting
- Patient, compassionate and empathetic
Volunteers DO NOT require prior autism experience as they are provided with training, guidance and leadership from our capable team of experience staff.
Please note that volunteers in swim and skate programs need to be comfortable enough in the sport to allow them to support children and youth throughout the lessons.
Canucks Autism Network (CAN) delivers programs and events across the following regions:
- Lower Mainland: Metro Vancouver & Fraser Valley
- Interior: Kamloops & Kelowna
- Vancouver Island: Nanaimo & Victoria
The time commitment required by our volunteers varies depending on the program or event they are supporting.
- Seasonal sports and recreation programs: 1-3 hours per week on weeknights or weekends for 6-8 weeks
- Summer day camps: 1.5 to 6 hours, Monday-Friday
- Single-day events/programs: Varies
For our weekly programs, timely and regular attendance is an expectation as it allows volunteers to build rapport with the participant they are working with. It also ensures consistency and predictability which further fosters progress, trust and confidence.
Need support with the application process?
Canucks Autism Network values diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates including Indigenous peoples, individuals of all genders and sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, disability, age, and religion. We are committed to a fair hiring process and can provide accommodations wherever possible.
Tell Us Your Story
We are continually inspired by the passion and dedication that our volunteers demonstrate in supporting our programs on a daily basis.
Are you a Canucks Autism Network volunteer and have a story about your experience in our programs that you would like to share? We would love to hear from you.
The Canucks Autism Network blog highlights the successes and inspiring stories that occur in our programs on a regular basis. Tell us your story and you may be featured on a future post!