The Music program, in partnership with Sarah McLachlan School of Music, offers children and youth with autism the opportunity to practice singing and to play basic percussion instruments in a group lesson format. Lessons are taught by experienced music instructors and supported by CAN staff and volunteers.
Music lessons are directed by the Sarah McLachlan School of Music and supported by Canucks Autism Network staff.
- Each Children’s Class (7-12yrs) session consists of 45 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks.
- Each Youth Class (13-17yrs) session consists of 45 minute lessons, once per week, for multiple weeks.
- Each lesson consists of 8-10 participants who may be split into smaller groups.
- Participants are provided with a high ratio of support (1:1 or higher, if needed).
The Sarah McLachlan School of Music provides a music instructor and assistant to lead each class. Participants will also be supported by CAN support workers and volunteers provided.
At Canucks Autism Network, we strive to meet the needs of each participant through parent collaboration.
Please do not hesitate to speak with on-site staff about support strategies that work for your child (e.g., visual schedules, first-then boards, token systems, social stories, etc.).
Please email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
- Ages 7-12 & 13-17
- Participants must meet session age requirements as of first-day of the program
- Have an autism diagnosis and an active CAN Membership
- Individuals across the autism spectrum are welcome (ratio of support can be adjusted if necessary; 1:1 or even 2:1 support)
- Commitment to attend session on a weekly basis (See Attendance Policy)
This program is specifically designed and adapted for individuals on the autism spectrum. We kindly ask that parents and siblings remain on the side.
Reg. opens Mon, Feb 10 at noon - Fri, Feb 14 at noon
View upcoming programs commencing in April:
Browse the Spring Leisure Guide >>
All those who submit registration requests during the registration period will be notified of their updated registration status on Friday, February 21.